Venue & Maps - Detroit
Check back for an overview of events happening at each venue. Upon arrival, be sure to download the FIRST Championship App.
1 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226
Expand below to learn more about the venues in Detroit.
Cobo Center (CC)
Level 1 (CC L1)
- FIRST® LEGO® League (ages 9-16, grades 4-8) – Elementary and middle school students are judged on Core Values, Robot Design, and Project. Additionally, in the Robot Game, LEGO MINDSTORMS®-based robots are programmed by team members to complete “missions” on a playing field. All activities will be held in Halls E1 – E3, Level 1, where you can see 108 teams from around the world work on their robots and compete.
- FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. (ages 6-10, grades K-4) – Elementary school students are challenged to explore a scientific topic, then present what they learned with a Show Me poster and a model built using LEGO® Education WeDo. Sixty teams will present their findings at the FIRST LEGO League Jr. World Festival Expo located in Room 140, Level 1.
- FIRST Store
Level 2 (CC L2)
- FIRST® Tech Challenge (ages 12-18, grades 7-12) – Middle and high school students compete on custom playing fields with robots they have designed, programmed, and built themselves. One-hundred-twenty-eight international teams will compete in Hall A Level 2. The teams’ Pits will also be located in Hall A (safety glasses provided and required).
- FIRST® Robotics Competition (ages 14-18, grades 9-12) – High school students from 400 international teams compete on custom playing fields with robots they have designed, programmed, and built themselves. FIRST Robotics Competition fields and Pits (safety glasses provided and required) are located in Halls B - D. Watch teams compete in this year’s robotics challenge on six playing fields.
- Special Events – The Grand River Ballroom B (GRBB) in the Cobo Center will hold special events such as the FIRST LEGO League and FIRST LEGO League Jr. award ceremonies, Dean’s List and other various FIRST Championship events.
- The Grand River Ballroom A (GRBA) will house the FIRST Innovation Faire, a hands-on, Maker Faire-inspired area featuring FIRST sponsors, suppliers, scholarship providers, and other special guests. All FIRST Championship attendees are encouraged to participate in the completely free FIRST Innovation Faire, where attendees can receive exciting giveaways, witness new technology demonstrations, and participate in fun, hands-on activities for all ages.
Ford Field (FF)
- Ford Field is home to the FIRST Welcome Party and FIRST Closing Celebration. There will be activities for students of all ages to engage in – from mainstage acts, to activity booths and roving entertainment. Concessions will be open around the stadium. Admission is free to all registered and badged FIRST Championship attendees.
The FIRST Closing Celebration will incorporate final matches for FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge, FIRST Championship top awards, and the Finale all rolled into one event. Concessions will be open throughout the event. The FIRST Closing Celebration will be the culmination of FIRST Championship Detroit and will include exciting competition, fun entertainment, top award presentations, and a few surprises along the way.
Click below to view the Detroit venue maps. See also: Venue Guide.